Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition
Book: Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition
# Publisher: Apress; 2 edition (January 23, 2006)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 1590595521
# ISBN-13: 978-1590595527
* Written for the budding web developer searching for a powerful, low-cost solution for building flexible, dynamic web sites.
* Essentially three books in one: provides thorough introductions to the PHP language and the MySQL database, and shows you how these two technologies can be effectively integrated to build powerful websites.
* Provides over 500 code examples, including real-world tasks such as creating an auto-login feature, sending HTML-formatted e-mail, testing password guessability, and uploading files via a web interface.
* Updated for MySQL 5, includes new chapters introducing triggers, stored procedures, and views.
From the Back Cover
Interested in becoming a master of the PHP language and MySQL database but don't know where to begin? This best-selling book ranks among the most thorough and practical guides in print, covering all of the key concepts and features, and showing you how to effectively integrate PHP and MySQL to build powerful web sites.
The book begins with a vast overview of PHP's capabilities, starting with a survey of the installation and configuration process on both the Windows and Linux platforms. Next, several chapters are devoted to basic PHP concepts, including variables, datatypes, arrays, functions, string manipulation, and processing user input. Other key PHP topics are also covered, including PEAR, session handling, LDAP integration, the Smarty templating engine, Web services, and PDO.
Next up is a presentation of MySQL's key features. You're first guided through MySQL's installation and configuration process, and are presented with an introduction to its storage engines, datatypes, administration utilities, security features, and data import/export facilities. New MySQL 5--specific chapters have been added in this edition, covering triggers, stored procedures, and views. Along the way, you'll gain insight into PHP's assortment of MySQL functions (using both the mysql and mysqli extensions), and learn how to create and execute queries, perform searches, and carry out key database tasks from within your Web application.
What You Will Learn from This Book
* Install and configure Apache, PHP, and MySQL on both Windows and Linux.
* Accept and process information submitted via HTML forms.
* Authenticate users and track user preferences and data using PHP's session-handling capabilities.
* Process web-based file uploads using the HTTP_Upload PEAR package.
* Create your own RSS aggregator using Magpie, and process XML files in amazingly efficient fashion using SimpleXML.
* Use both command-line and graphical MySQL clients to effectively manage your data.
* Secure the MySQL server, creating roles and restricting access even at very granular levels.
* Effectively integrate PHP and MySQL to create dynamic, data-driven web applications.
Beginning PHP 5 and MYSQL: From Novice to Professional offers a comprehensive introduction to two of the most popular Web application building technologies on the planet: the scripting language PHP and the MySQL database server. This book will not only expose you to the core aspects of both technologies, but will provide valuable insight into how they are used in unison to create dynamic data-driven Web applications.
Beginning PHP 5 and MYSQL explains the new features of the latest releases of the world’s most popular Open Source Web development technologies: MySQL 4 database server and PHP 5 scripting language. This book explores the benefits, extensive new features, and advantages of the object-oriented PHP 5, and how it can be used in conjunction with MySQL 4 to create powerful dynamic Web sites.
This is the perfect book for the Web designer, programmer, hobbyist, or novice that wants to learn how to create applications with PHP 5 and MySQL 4, and is a great entrance point for Apress’s extensive spectrum of PHP books planned for 2004.
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.