MCSE in a Nutshell: The Windows 2000 Exams
Book: MCSE in a Nutshell: The Windows 2000 Exams
# Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc.; 1 edition (February 15, 2001)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0596000308
# ISBN-13: 978-0596000301
As certifications for computer and network professionals go, the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) rating may be the most widely recognized. That means that if you're going to invest time, money, and effort in earning a certification, the MCSE may give you the most career yield. MCSE in a Nutshell: The Windows 2000 Exams is the latest version of O'Reilly & Associates' MCSE preparation guide, updated to reflect the new MCSE requirements that came with the release of the Windows 2000 family of operating systems. As always, this book represents excellent value. It covers everything Microsoft says you need to know to pass core and elective exams in the MCSE battery.
Michael Moncur and Paul Murphy succeed in making this book space-efficient by minimizing overlap of coverage among chapters, each of which addresses the contents of a single exam. This book also counts on its readers having either a lot of Windows NT/2000 experience, or access to a laboratory network (or, preferably, both). Though the book contains a fair bit of explanation of terms and concepts, this is more of a study guide to accompany experimentation than a tutorial on its own. The authors seem to believe that hands-on experience is the way to learn Windows 2000. You'll find sample tests to gauge your learning, with minimally annotated answers. --David Wall
Topics covered: The subjects on the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) suite of exams, including those on Windows 2000 Professional (70-210), Windows 2000 Server (70-215), Network Infrastructure Implementation (70-216), Directory Services Infrastructure Implementation (70-217), Directory Services Infrastructure Design (70-219), Network Infrastructure Design (70-221), and Security Design (70-220).
Microsoft's MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) candidates in the Windows 2000 track are required to pass five core exams and two elective exams. These exams are designed to provide a valid and reliable measure of competency for experienced IT professionals working in the typically complex computing environment of medium to large organizations. MCSE in a Nutshell: The Windows 2000 Exams is a comprehensive study guide and detailed quick reference that covers the following exams:
* Exam 70-210: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
* Exam 70-215: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
* Exam 70-216: Implementing and Administering a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
* Exam 70-217: Implementing and Administering a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
* Exam 70-219: Designing a Microsoft. Windows. 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
* Exam 70-221: Designing a Microsoft. Windows. 2000 Network Infrastructure
* Exam 70-220: Designing Security for a Microsoft. Windows. 2000 Network
Each chapter covers one exam. It includes:
* A summary of the key areas covered by the exam
* A description of the format, difficulty of each exam and tips for passing it
* Definitions of key terms
Any administrator who is serious about acquiring MCSE certification will find this book indispensable. MCSE in a Nutshell: The Windows 2000 Exams is the best value on the market, combining a low price and fast pace that will appeal to sophisticated users who need a bridge between real-world experience and the MCSE Exam requirements.